On the menu today – Chicken Pot Pie!
I was craving some good ole comfort food today and Chicken Pot Pie has GOT to be in the top two or three for comfort food. I tried something different this time with the crust. Instead of puff pastry or pie dough, I used flakey biscuits. With the cooked biscuits split, I used the bottoms on the bottom of the baking dish and the tops for the top.
Making dough isn’t one of my favorite things to do, so I decided to try using biscuits instead. I think it turned out really well. The filling it out of this world. I used chicken thighs, which I think have more flavor than the breast meat. The thighs were baked seasoned with salt and pepper – that’s it. The rest of the filling comes together really quickly.
With the weather getting cooler, you need to get those comfort food recipes out. I hope you will try my version the next time you make chicken pot pie. Let me know how it turns out.
Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie
- 2lb boneless, skin-less chicken thighs, cooked and cubed (You can use breast meat if you like. Cook it yourself or use a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced (the center portion of the celery would be good too)
- 1 can cream of celery soup (feel free to substitute cream of chicken)
- 1 bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk (you could use whole milk)
- 1 cup chicken stock (I like Better Than Bullion)
- 1 tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tube flakey biscuits
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Pre-heat a large sauce pan over medium heat with olive oil
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
Add the onion and celery and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes
Put the biscuits in the oven for 15 minutes
In a large measuring cup, heat the chicken stock and evaporated milk in the microwave, about 2 minutes
Add the flour to the onions and celery, mix to combine and cook 1-2 minutes
Add the butter, mix to combine
Slowly pour in the chicken stock and milk, stir to combine
Let the mixture come to a boil and then lower the heat, continuously stirring as it thickens
Add the frozen peas and carrots, mix to combine and cut the heat
Add the cooked chicken and parsley, then mix to combine
In a 13x9 baking dish put a layer of the biscuit bottoms down
Pour the chicken mixture into the baking dish and top with the biscuit tops