On the menu tonight – Seafood Chili! In previous posts, I mentioned how many types of chili I’ve made. I decided to make them and post the recipes for you.
This chili features fresh shrimp, crab, and clams. The best part about this chili is you can prep and eat within an hour. The cook time is only about 30 minutes. Don’t be intimidated by the list of ingredients. There is nothing difficult about making this pot of chili. SO, if you are craving seafood and like a little kick, make a pot of my chili!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno, small dice
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup steamed clams, chopped
- 1 lb shrimp, deveined, shelled and chopped
- 1 lb canned or steamed crab meat
- (2) 10 oz cans Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- (1) 14 oz can light kidney beans with broth
- (1) 14 oz can Great Northern beans with broth
- Juice from ½ lemon
In a large, heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion, jalapeno, green and red peppers, as well as the spices. You want the spices to bloom.
Once the onion is translucent, add the beans, tomatoes and clam juice. Stir well.
Add the seafood and cook for about 30 minutes. You want the shrimp to be pink and everything else heated through. I recommend setting the timer for 20 minutes and stirring the pot about every 5 minutes or so.
Once the shrimp are cooked, turn off the heat and add the lemon juice. Stir one last time and serve.
Garnish with green onion.