Broccoli Salad has been a staple in my kitchen ever since I found a version that Paula Dean had in one of her cookbooks. My version usually varies a little bit bit based on what’s in my fridge. The version here is my base recipe, but sometimes I’ll add a little shallot or red onion. Feel free to experiment and make your own version.
- 1 Head of Broccoli
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1-2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup raisins (regular or golden)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1-2 tsp pepper
- Optional ingredients:
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely (really finely) diced red onion or
- 1 tbsp of really finely chopped shallot
- 8 slices cooked & crispy bacon
Bring a pot of water to a boil.
While the water is coming to a boil, cut the broccoli into bite size pieces.
Gather the rest of your ingredients.
Once the water comes to a boil, drop the broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Pull the broccoli and shock it in cold water.
Drain the broccoli well, then put in a large mixing bowl.
Add the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, cheese, raisins, sugar and pepper.
Mix all the ingredients well, then put back in the fridge and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.